Why study Art and Design (Design)?
This course provides you with the opportunity to develop your creativity and apply your understanding of design practice, function and aesthetics, through independent thinking and self-directed study. You will explore and research challenging design contexts, issues and opportunities while developing individual creativity and technical skills, through exploration and the creative use of design materials, equipment, techniques and /or technology.
What do I need to get in?
This is at the discretion of the school/college but you would normally be expected to have attained:
What will I study?
The course combines investigative and practical learning with knowledge and understanding of design practice, where you develop a range of design techniques and creative skills.
On this course you will:
- select a design brief for your portfolio
- follow a design process to develop design ideas and resolve and realise solutions which are influenced by your investigation into design practice
- produce a contextual analysis of a selected design work by discussing related contexts and analysing their impact on the features of the design work
- reflect on and evaluate their creative decisions and design work
How will I be assessed?
The course assessment consists of one component totalling 100 marks:
- Component 1 - Portfolio of work (100 marks).
- select a design brief and produce practical design work including: investigative research, development of ideas, and resolution and realisation of design work
- show an understanding of design practice in your work through using materials, techniques and/or technology to experiment with design elements
- produce a contextual analysis by selecting a design work relevant to your practical design work and discuss the impacting of related contexts through analysing features of the design work, and
- reflect on your design process and design work.
Marks are allocated as follows:
- Section 1: practical design work (64 marks)
- Section 2: contextual analysis (30 marks)
- Section 3: evaluation (6 marks).
This will be externally marked by SQA.
The course assessment is graded A-D.
What can I go on to next?
Further study, training or employment in:
Which jobs are related to this subject?