Why study Art and Design (Expressive)?
This course provides you with the opportunity to develop your creativity, visual awareness and understanding of aesthetic, while exploring how to communicate your personal thoughts, ideas and opinions through creating expressive artwork.
What do I need to get in?
This is at the discretion of the school or college, but you would normally be expected to have attained the skills, knowledge and understanding required by the following courses, or equivalent qualifications and/or experience:
What will I study?
This course combines investigative and practical learning with knowledge and understanding of expressive art practice.
You will :
- develop a range of expressive art techniques and creative skills
- select a theme or stimulus for your portfolio
- follow a creative process to develop expressive art ideas and resolve and realise artworks which are influenced by their investigation into art practice
- produce a contextual analysis of a selected artwork by discussing related contexts and analysing their impact on the features of the artwork
- reflect on and evaluate your creative decisions and artwork.
How will I be assessed?
The course assessment consists of one component totalling 100 marks:
- Component 1: Portfolio (100 marks).
- select a theme or stimulus
- produce practical expressive artwork including: investigate research, development of ideas, and resolution and realisation of artwork
- apply an understanding of art practice in your work through using materials, techniques and/or technology to experiment with visual elements
- produce a contextual analysis by selecting an artwork relevant to your practical expressive work and discuss the impact of related contexts through analysing the features of the artwork
- reflect on your creative process and artwork.
Marks are allocated as follows:
- Section 1 - practical expressive artwork (64 marks)
- Section 2 - contextual analysis (30 marks)
- Section 3 - evaluation (6 marks).
This will be externally marked by SQA.
The course assessment is graded A-D.
What can I go on to next?
Further study, training or employment in:
Which jobs are related to this subject?