Why study SfW Textile Manufacturing?
This course will help you learn about the diversity of the Textile Manufacturing Industry in Scotland as a whole, giving you an insight into jobs within the industry, further education and training available and employment opportunities.
You will have the chance to handle different fibres, learn about the construction of different fabrics and test their performance.
You will also develop a practical project based on an aspect of textile production that you are interested in.
The course covers a wide range of activities in the textile sector in Scotland including:
- preparing and spinning of textile fibres
- textile weaving
- finishing of textiles (including dyeing, printing and finishing of yarns and fibres)
- manufacture of knitted products, lace, carpets and rugs.
What do I need to get in?
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
What will I study?
The course is made up of three mandatory units.
- An Introduction to the Textile Manufacturing Industry (6 SCQF credit points)
- Textile Technologies (12 SCQF credit points)
- Textile Products and Processes (6 SCQF credit points)
You will learn about:
- the diversity of the Textile Manufacturing Industry, and the job roles within the various areas of the industry
- the skills required for a variety of manufacturing processes within different areas of textile manufacture
- fibres, functions and structures in an industrial context, and their range, purpose and use
- entry qualifications, opportunities for training and career progression within the Textile Manufacturing Industry.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be based on a range of methods including a portfolio and practical activities. Performance evidence will be supported by assessor observation checklists and candidate reviews. You will be required to carry out self evaluation on a range of skills, review progress and identify action points as part of the assessment of employability skills.
What can I go on to next?
You may be able to progress to:
- A job in the textile industry sector
- A Modern Apprenticeship leading to Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) at SCQF Levels 5 or 6.
- A one year full time National Certificate (NC) or National Qualification (NQ) at a local college of further education.
Further study, training or employment in: