Taxi or Car Driver

Job Profile Image

Taxi or car drivers take people and their luggage to their destination. They may be hired for individual journeys or provide regular services to the same client or customer. They may also be called chauffeurs or minicab drivers.

The Work

The taxi trade is split into two types of vehicle: licensed hackney carriages (black cabs) which are able to pick people up in the street or from taxi ranks; and licensed private hire vehicles, or PHVs (known as minicabs), which are not allowed to pick people up in the street, but have to be booked though the firm's office.

Other car drivers or chauffeurs are engaged to transport clients to and from particular functions, or work for large organisations or private individuals.

You could be:


The figures below are only a guide. Actual pay rates may vary, depending on:

You can start off earning between £13,000 and £18,000 a year. More experienced drivers earn an average of around £25,000. However, in many cases it is possible to earn considerably more than this.


Employment Status UK %

Past Unemployment

Year Unemployed

LMI data powered by LMI for All

Getting In

A good general education is useful. You need a special licence to be a taxi or private hire driver. Each local authority has its own criteria you must meet to be approved, so you would have to check specific requirements. The most common criteria are listed below.

Predicted Employment in Scotland

LMI data powered by LMI for All

What Does it Take?

You need to be:

You need to have:


Getting On


The following organisations may be able to provide further information.

British Chauffeurs Guild
Tel: 020 8641 1740

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
Tel: 0300 200 1122

The DVSA replaced the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) in April 2014. Its aim is to promote road safety through improving driving standards, testing drivers, motorcyclists and driving instructors, maintaining the registers of Approved Driving Instructors and Large Goods Vehicle Instructors and supervising training for learner motorcyclists.

National Taxi Association
Tel: 01228 598740

People 1st - Careers That Move
Website (2):
Twitter: @p1stgroup

People 1st is the Sector Skills Council for the hospitality, passenger transport, travel and tourism industries. Careers That Move is in association with People 1st and the UKSP. It is the careers website for passenger transport and travel.

Was this article useful?
Please help us improve Planit by rating this article.

Career Sectors

Air Transport


Rail Transport

Road Transport

Sea Transport