Why Study a Foundation Apprenticeship?
Studying for a Foundation Apprenticeship gives you the chance to combine work based qualifications such as Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) or National Certificate (NC) with practical work experience in industry.
Who Can Apply?
The Foundation Apprenticeship (FA) in Business Skills is for pupils staying on at school. You can choose an FA as one of your subjects in S5 or S6.
These vary depending on whether you start the Foundation Apprenticeship in S5 or S6. It could range from some subjects at National 5 to 1 or 2 Highers. Check with your school for details.
National Progression Award in Business Skills
- Understanding Business
- Management of People and Finance
- PC Passport: Working with IT Software – Word Processing and Presenting Information
- PC Passport: Working with IT Software – Spreadsheet and database
- Contemporary Business Issues
- Work Placement
SVQ in Business and Administration (Part of)
- Plan how to manage and improve own performance in a business environment
- Communicate in a business environment
- Support other people to work in a business environment
- Design and produce documents in a business environment
You’ll be assessed throughout your FA Business Skills. At the end, you’ll achieve a Foundation Apprenticeship (Group Award) in Business Services at SCQF Level 6, which includes:
- four units from the SVQ in Business and Administration at SCQF Level 6
- a unit in Contemporary Business Issues (SCQF Level 6)
- a National Progression Award (NPA) in Business with Information Technology (SCQF Level 6)
- a Work Placement Unit (SCQF Level 6).
1 - 2 years
What can I go on to next?
- Completion of the 4 remaining units from SVQ Business and Administration at SCQF Level 6 (awarding the full Modern Apprenticeship).
- You could continue your studies at college or university, gaining a Higher National Diploma (HND) or degree in a business discipline.
How To Apply
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship you should complete an application form through your school. You may be required to attend an interview and complete a relevant aptitude test.
Have a look at the apprenticeships.scot website to see what your school offers and to enquire.
Related Career Areas