Psychologist - Educational

Job Profile Image

An educational psychologist assesses the needs of children and young people in educational and early years settings who have behavioural, learning or emotional problems, and treats them with appropriate therapies, counselling or learning support programmes.

The Work

You could be:


In Scotland, the current pay rates for educational psychologists are as follows:


Workforce Employment Status

LMI data powered by LMI for All

Getting In

In Scotland, all educational psychologists must be Chartered Members of the British Psychological Society (BPS), or probationers working towards chartered status. They must also be full members of the Scottish Division of Educational Psychology (or the Division of Child and Educational Psychology).

You would normally begin by working towards the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society (BPS).

You then need to complete a postgraduate professional training course accredited by the BPS. In Scotland you would study for the postgraduate MSc in Educational Psychology. This is currently only available at the University of Dundee.

The next stage is to spend a period of time as an educational psychologist (probationer) doing supervised practice as an employee of a local authority psychological service.

You will require a satisfactory criminal record check from Disclosure Scotland to show that you are suitable for this type of work. Contact Disclosure Scotland for details on the type you would need.

What Does it Take?

You need:


Getting On



The following organisations may be able to provide further information.

British Psychological Society
Tel: 0116 254 9568
Website (2):
Twitter: @BPSOfficial

Was this article useful?
Please help us improve Planit by rating this article.