Psychologist - Counselling

Job Profile Image

A counselling psychologist talks and listens to people to help them to deal with a range of mental health problems relating to life issues including bereavement and domestic abuse.

The Work

You could be:


The figures below are only a guide. Actual pay rates may vary, depending on:

The salaries for NHS Psychologists in Scotland are usually based on the NHS Agenda for Change pay rates. The current pay scales are from April 2020.

Qualified psychologists start on Band 8a, £49,480 to £53,414 a year. With experience you would move to Band 8b, £53,291 to £62,259 a year.

Consultant/lead psychologists are on Band 8c, £71,365 to £76,914 a year.


Workforce Employment Status

LMI data powered by LMI for All

Getting In

There are jobs with local authorities and the civil service, the National Health Service (NHS), and in private hospitals. About half of counselling psychologists do clinical work in health and social care settings. There are jobs in the human resource management departments of private companies.

Workforce Education Levels (UK)

LMI data powered by EMSI UK

Job Outlook Scotland


LMI data powered by EMSI UK

Job Outlook Scotland

0.3 %

LMI data powered by EMSI UK

What Does it Take?

You need:

You should be:


Getting On

You could set up as a self-employed consultant, working from home or from a rented office.


The following organisations may be able to provide further information.

British Psychological Society
Tel: 0116 254 9568
Website (2):
Twitter: @BPSOfficial

Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
Tel: 0300 500 6184
Twitter: @The_HCPC

The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) is the UK-wide regulatory body responsible for setting and maintaining standards of professional training, performance and conduct in the following health care professions: Arts Therapists; Audiologist; Biomedical Scientist; Chiropodist and Podiatrist; Clinical Scientist; Dietician; Dramatherapist; Occupational Therapist; Operating Department Practitioner; Orthoptist; Paramedic; Physiotherapist; Practitioner Psychologist; Prosthetist and Orthotist; Radiographer; Speech and Language Therapist. (The HCPC may regulate other healthcare professions in the future.) The HCPC website contains a register of all approved courses in the above professions.

Was this article useful?
Please help us improve Planit by rating this article.