Option choice isn’t always easy, but it is important. Your choices in school will have an impact on your future learning and career options. So, it’s worth putting in the time to think them through properly and plan ahead.
It’s important that you:
- find out as much as you can about the subjects and courses open to you – your subject teachers will help you with this
- are positive and realistic about what you can achieve
- think ahead, about how useful subjects and courses will be to you in the future
- understand why you are choosing a particular subject or course, and sure that your reasons are good ones
- explore the wide range of careers open to you, and the different routes you could take to get into them
- keep your future career options as open as possible
- ask for information, support and advice when you need it.
Getting ready to choose
These interactive tools will help you prepare for your option choice decisions.
- Choices S3 - helps you to reflect on the subject and course options that are available to you, and rate them according to your level of interest.
- Options Elevator – helps you to think about the steps you should take before you make your choices.
- The Great School Subject Debate – helps you to think about your reasons for choosing certain subjects.
Struggling for career ideas
If you don’t have any career ideas yet, don’t worry. It’s still early days, and if you need some suggestions you can use CareerMatch. It produces a career ideas report based on your interests.