Getting In

Alternatives to full time study Choosing what to study at college or university Choosing where to study College and university – to go or not to go? Differences between school and college Gap years and deferred entry Making the most of open days Studying abroad University preparation courses and summer schools

Studying abroad

Article Image

Getting the opportunity to study in another country appeals to many students for a variety of reasons, the main ones being learning a new language, gaining more independence and meeting different people. Another good reason is knowing it can also make their CV stand out to prospective employers.  

Students of all subject areas can take part in these schemes, not just language students. Subjects offered range from engineering to the history of art. However, you will need to check with your academic department which universities abroad are participating.  

According to the Prospects graduate careers website, the top five places to study abroad are Germany, Australia, Canada, France and the USA.

Read on to find out about your options.

The Turing Scheme

From September 2021, students will now be able to apply to work and study across the world through the Turing Scheme, named after the mathematician Alan Turing. The scheme is replacing the Erasmus+ programme, which the UK is no longer participating in since leaving the European Union in 2020.

The scheme provides funding for those undertaking education and training in the UK to go on study or work placements across the world. You can choose from over 150 destination countries and territories from around the world.

Here are some of the main points regarding the new scheme for HE students.

Since this is a newly launched scheme, it is best to contact your university regarding eligibility, details of grant allocation, and how your learning credits will be accumulated as part of your course.

For further details, visit the Turing Scheme website.

The Turing Scheme - FE and VET (Further Education and Vocational Education and Training)

You can also take part in short or long term traineeships abroad, or learn at a partner further education or vocational education and training provider.

If you are a recent FE or VET graduate, you can carry out a traineeship abroad within 12 months of graduating.

Studies and traineeship mobility with education providers or companies abroad can last between 2 weeks and 21 months.

Funding varies according to the project location and its duration, so you would need to speak to your FE or VET provider for details on living costs.

Further details can be found on the Turing Scheme website.

Independently arranged study placements

You don't need to go through an official exchange programme if you want to study abroad. For example, you might like the idea of a longer stay, and studying the whole degree abroad. This has its advantage in that you have more control over choosing the place you study at, course content and your length of stay.

However independent study abroad means lots of discipline and basically funding your own studies and expenses – including medical insurance. You will have to either take out a loan or secure a scholarship from your chosen institution or from home. You may well also have to find a part time job when you are there, however some countries may not allow students to work off campus, even part time.  

It's worth noting that it's cheaper to study in Europe compared to international destinations such as America and Australia. Some universities within the European Union may not charge you tuition fees, but you will still have to fund your living and travel expenses.


Was this article useful?
Please help us improve Planit by rating this article.