Colleges in Scotland – some facts and figures
Currently, there are 27 further education colleges in Scotland.
- In 2015-16, there was 49,954 full time FE students and 33,701 full time HE students.
- 65.5% of the full time FE students successfully completed their course, which is 1.5% higher than 2014-15.
- 72.2% of the full time HE students successfully completed their course, which is a 0.9% increase on 2014-15.
- By 2016-17 colleges are expected to increase this success rate to 69%.
- 9.0% of FE students withdrew from their course before they could apply for funding and a further 16.5% ‘dropped out’ before completing the course
- 4.6% of HE students withdrew from their course before they could apply for funding and a further 12.6% ‘dropped out’ before completing the course.
All of these rates vary across different colleges, courses and levels of study.
If you, or your parents, are interested in detailed statistics about the performance of a specific college you’ll find them at the following links:
College Performance Indicators (Scottish Funding Council)
HM Inspectors College Review Reports (Education Scotland website)
Source of statistics
SFC Statistical Publication, College Performance Indicators 2015-16, January 2017 revision.
Was this article useful?
Please help us improve Planit by rating this article.